The Student Lens: The Heyling Interview
Hello everyone, and welcome back to the Student Lens series. Today, I am here to chat with Heyling, a student who came to Elemental Studios to find a community, to find a way to express herself through a healing process, and to discover her inner goddess in the process. She has shown that healing through dance is possible and that believing in yourself is truly worth it in the end.
Before we get into the interview, let's learn about Heyling, shall we?
"I'm Heyling! I'm originally from Nicaragua, and I love photography, cooking recipes from different cultures, exploring new places, and also learning new things. I'm also an English teacher. After surviving a major stroke, dance became more than just a hobby. It became a part of my healing journey and a way to reconnect with my body and build confidence and strength. I'm grateful to be a part of a community that inspires me to keep growing, both as a dancer and as a person."
Let's get into the interview!
1. How did you find out about Elemental Studios?
Heyling: "I found Elemental Studios through social media. I kept seeing videos from the classes, and the positive energy and supportive environment really stood out to me, so I finally decided to give it a try."
2. What was your 1st class at Elemental Studios, and how was that experience for you?
Heyling: "My first class was a Beginner Heels class with Serina. I had never taken a dance class before. I grew up in a religious household where dancing is seen as something you shouldn't do, so when I started dancing in 2023, I was truly starting from scratch. I remember being really nervous, but Serina created such a welcoming and encouraging environment that I felt comfortable right away. I left feeling challenged, empowered, and excited to come back."
3. What do you look forward to the most when coming to Elemental Studios?
Heyling: "I look forward to coming to Elemental Studios because it became my second home. It's a place where I can disconnect from everything else, challenge myself, and simply enjoy dancing. It's one of the places where I feel the most free, supported, and present."
4. Do you have any favorite classes at the moment? If so, what are they?
Heyling: "Heels is definitely my favorite. I love how empowering it feels, and I enjoy learning choreography because it challenges me and helps me grow with every class."
5. From your perspective, how do you think your relationship with your body has evolved as you have grown through your dance journey?
Heyling: "My relationship with my body has changed completely. After surviving a major stroke, I had to relearn how to trust my body again. Dance has helped me appreciate what my body can do instead of focusing on what it can't. It has taught me patience, resilience, and to celebrate every bit of progress, no matter how small."
6. What makes you feel the most confident when dancing?
Heyling: "When I stop overthinking and allow myself to connect with the music. Those are the moments when I feel the most confident and the most like myself."
7. Do you have any dance goals for yourself this year?
Heyling: "I want to continue rebuilding my strength and technique, become more confident performing, and keep challenging myself by trying new styles and stepping outside my comfort zone."
8. What is a fun random fact about you?
Heyling: "I have a secret cooking YouTube channel! I love recreating recipes from different countries, and it's one of my favorite creative outlets outside of dance."
9. What moment through your dance journey has made you feel the most proud of yourself?
Heyling: "Coming back to dance after surviving a major stroke. I had only started dancing in 2023, so I was still very new when everything changed. I was told that recovery would take years and that it could be years before I was able to return to activities like dance. Being able to step back into the studio and doing something I love has been one of the most meaningful experiences of my life. Every class reminds me of how far I have come, and that progress isn't always about perfection. Sometimes it's about courage, consistency, and not giving up."
10. What would you say to someone if they wanted to come to Elemental Studios but wasn't sure?
Heyling: "I'd tell them to just take the first class. You don't need experience or confidence to start. Those things come with time. Elemental Studios is such a welcoming space, and the instructors and community make you feel supported from day one. You might surprise yourself with what you're capable of."
Thank you to Heyling for interviewing with me. I had a great time getting to know you and your story with dance. If you happen to see Heyling at the studio, make sure to say hi to her if you happen to be in Heels class or before/after class.
See you in the next interview!

Comments
Post a Comment